- This event has passed.
Timber Frame Raising of the Dr. Moses Mason Library Replica
July 7 @ 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Join us on Saturday, July 7, for the raising of a timber-frame replica of Dr. Moses Mason’s (1789-1866) 19th century library, which stood next to his Broad Street residence until the late 1800s. Generously donated by Scott Campbell of Maine Mountain Post & Beam in Fryeburg, the timber-frame (assembled on library building’s original site) will be finished on the exterior but left exposed on the inside as an illustration of early American building technology and as a teaching tool.
Funding from the family of the late Roxanne Twitchell Sly, a life member of the Bethel Historical Society, will be used to complete the exterior of the building, which will be dedicated in 2019 as the “Twitchell Education Center” — a facility that will allow the Society’s children’s programs, among others, to expand into better quarters.
Arriving in Bethel from Dublin, N.H., in the 1770s, the Twitchells constructed Bethel’s first saw and grist mills in 1774, and were owners of much of Bethel Hill village into the 1830s. They were also related to the Mason family by marriage previous to their arrival in Bethel.
At 1:30 pm, Randall Bennett, Executive Director of the Bethel Historical Society, will share some history of the original library and acknowledge this significant addition to the Society’s Broad Street campus. Free and open to the public.