Dr. Moses Mason Office/Library Replica
Museums of the Bethel Historical Society has received the gift of a 16-by-20 foot timber frame to replicate the 19th century Broad Street office/library of Dr. Moses Mason (1789-1866). A public “raising” of this traditional wood-frame structure, generously donated by Scott Campbell of Maine Mountain Post & Beam in Fryeburg, will take place on July 7, 2018, during the Bethel Art Fair.
Siting of the replica office/library, which will incorporate some 19th century materials to illustrate earlier construction methods, is based on a rare 1874 stereoview photo and evidence gathered during a May 2013 archaeological study by Gould Academy students under the supervision of MBHS member Norm Buttrick. Historical records also suggest that the original office/library, which appears on the 1858 map of Bethel Hill village, existed from approximately 1840 to the mid-1890s. Left unfinished on the inside, the replica office/library will provide space for a variety of children’s activities, lectures, exhibits, and craft demonstrations.
To add to the significance of this project, the children of the late Roxanne Twitchell Sly, a life member of MBHS and descendant of some of Bethel’s earliest settlers, have funded the exterior finish of the replica. In exchange for their support, the new building will be known as the “Twitchell Education Center”—honoring the memory of their mother and recognizing the important role played by the Twitchell family of Sherborn, Massachusetts, and Dublin, New Hampshire, in the founding and settlement of Bethel. To Scott Campbell of Maine Mountain Post & Beam, and to the family of Roxanne Twitchell Sly, we extend our heartfelt thanks!